Promoting the Use of Technology for Teaching and Learning
A key task for the digital learning fellowship is to promote the use of technology for teaching and learning, as well as, for research.
To achieve this goal, variety is essential, because we are all different and what one of us finds appealing, may be different for another. I’d like to brainstorm a selection of activities to start the ball rolling in our technological journey.
As part of this, I’d like to set up an e-learning group for staff.Effective use of technology is for everybody across the college, not just teaching staff; so this includes Administrators, Support Staff, IT Support Staff, etc. If you would like to be part of this group, please add a comment or email me directly to express your interest.
There is lots of research about the challenges and opportunities of technology enhanced learning. There’s an article by Adrian Kirkwood and Linda Price which you may find interesting to read called “Technology-enhanced learning and teaching in higher education: what is ‘enhanced’ and how do we know?”. You can download the article here.
Here are some of my suggested activities and I welcome your ideas on these and any suggestions you have for other things.
- Staff Breakfast Club to hold show, share and tell sessions.
- E-learning induction programme for new staff to provide an overview of technology enhanced learning in the college and to determine how staff can provide support and determine whether they would like to hold training themselves to share knowledge or have a requirement to attend training.
- Host regular webinars with external speakers to bring in new ideas and share effective practice.
- Set up an e-learning networking group for staff from other colleges around the region to attend and showcase effective practice
- Establish areas for development, as result of e-learning audits currently being carried out by Katharine Jewitt.
- Hands-on workshops and training, which will also include the toolbox talks. This will provide opportunities for hands-on practice.
- Opportunity to take part in development projects, research and competitions for technological innovation.
Visit PROCAT Prospects College of Advanced Technology
This PROCAT Digital website is produced to report on activity from the Digital Learning Fellowship at PROCAT Prospects College of Advanced Technology, funded by The Education and Training Foundation.